[Ti] Tiny TinBook: First Impressions

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Feb 10 13:31:09 PST 2003

Doffie Rotter <doffie.rotter at uconn.edu>
> Oops--sorry to have to respond to my own post, but it needs amendment.
> Last night I was playing Civilization III and I heard the fan go on.
> Very quiet though, somewhat quieter than the one in my TiBook 800 which
> goes on, I believe, both sooner and more frequently.  I'm hoping this
> means that the switch to aluminum was a good idea.

Yes, as you noticed, these do have a fan; it's pretty much right in the
rear center of the computer.

If you're wondering about thermal conductivity, Aluminum is about 10
times more conductive than Titanium.  That's good in some sense; the
heat is getting away from the processor and other hot components more
easily.  It's also bad; the heat is getting to your hands more easily
because of this.

FWIW, I found a few values for the thermal conductivity of plastic, and
they were about the same or slightly more conductive than titanium.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html