[Ti] Web site management with TiBook

Luna Hector-r54293 hectorluna at motorola.com
Mon Feb 10 13:42:40 PST 2003

>What if I got VirtualPC and ran DirectPC on it.

I don't think that is going to work, at least not the way that you think it might. I don't have my Ti with me to test your theory, but if memory serves me correct, and if I understand your intentions, you want to share the guest's (the virtual machine) network connection with the Host (the Mac). VPC will allow you to share the Host's connection w/ the guest, but not vice versa. It can also spoof a media access control address (aka MAC) for the guest to get its own IP address different from the host, but this won't get you what you're after.

The only way that I can see this working is if you enable the virtual switch for the guest, thereby telling VPC to get a separate IP for the guest. Then load a proxy server onto the guest and point the host at the IP of the guest as its proxy server. Now this would take some doing. You'd have to delve into the guts of the proxy server to configure it. Most software proxy servers are pretty good at passing along web traffic, so take care on what you use if you're interested in more that just web surfing.

You're going to also want to consider performance issues. You'll probably get close to optimum in terms of bandwidth, but will probably suffer considerably in terms of latency. In other words, you'll probably have to wait longer than you'd like after you click on a link, but once you start getting the page to load, it should go pretty quick.

Good luck...

Hector Luna
Motorola Global Infrastructure Solutions
Phone: 480-413-3609
Pager: 877-529-2017 (Skytel 2way)
Email: hectorluna at motorola.com