[Ti] Conductivity/Battery Charging

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 09:29:38 PST 2003

Doffie Rotter <doffie.rotter at uconn.edu> writes:
> One more addendum to the heat issue:  When running on battery, this PB
> is just barely warm!  It's hottest when it's _actively_ charging (i.e.,
> when plugged in and under 100% charged).  When it's plugged in and the
> power cord glows green (fully charged), it is slightly less hot.
>
> Someone writing in a Readers' Report on the Macintouch site made a
> similar observation, but also reported that sometimes the battery
> indicator won't go all the way up to 100%, and it seems that the
> machine is going to keep charging without end.  I have not had that
> experience.

Well, I don't know too much about the chemistry involved in
rechargeable batteries, but I can tell you that your observed behavior
makes sense with what you would want the case to be ideally; feeling
heat on a part means that it is dissipating some power.  When you're
running on battery power, you want to minimize the power used (and
therefore the heat dissipated), especially on parts that aren't really
doing anything; in other words, you want the chemical reaction in the
battery to produce only electrical energy, and not heat energy.  If it
were producing heat, it would be wasting some of its stored energy.
However, when you're plugged in, you don't care very much if the
battery needs extra power to charge; it can just draw a little more
from the power adapter.  Because of the extra power the battery is
drawing while charging, the rest of the computer (especially the area
around the DC power plug) will heat up too as it is handling more power
input than normal.  This is one reason why the area around the power
button on TiBooks has always been warm, though Apple eventually placed
a fan in that area.

As for the guy on Macintouch, I read his (her? I don't recall) story,
and it sounds like it may be a possibility of him being excessively
picky and normal behavior; all laptops after the original G4 series
with original batteries will not necessarily charge all the way to 100%
to avoid short recharge cycles which can shorten the battery life.  The
computer will wait until the battery drops below about 95% to charge it
back up to 100%.  It could also be that he has a faulty battery or his
power management needs to be reset.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html