New PowerBook Keyboard Markings - was: Pre-purchase advice?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Feb 11 15:28:52 PST 2003

>On 2/11/03 3:05 PM, "David Remahl" <david at ittpoi.com> wrote:
>
>> If the performance of the 17" compares to the 12" that is on the streets now
>> - Apple has done away with the problem. Everyone is loving that new iBook
>> hinge. Bill Reburn
>>
> I haven't seen the exact construction used on the TiBook, but FWIW I do know
> that the worst problem with screen scratches I've had was on my 12" iBook. It
> looked really bad. The problem wasn't as significant on the 14" iBook, and I
> haven't had any problems with the TiBook, so far.
>
> / David

The hinge is slightly different, but definitely a next gen. of the iBook's
hinge, better imho than the Ti design. It is wider and when closed the base
of the screen (nearest the keyboard) is slightly higher.

The most notable information I have read is that the new materials used
prevent that flexion from occuring in the screen as well the new keyboard is
more flat and rigid. Both of these elements reportedly eliminate the
annoyance.

It would be nice if Apple could do away with the problem, it will only take
a couple days of the 17" on the streets to know for sure.

Hope I am not sounding too pessimistic about it - I am buying a new machine
in a couple months.. Could be the one for me too!

Love them Apples!

Bill Reburn