[Ti] (OT) iTunes missing plugin - speed control

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Wed Feb 12 07:18:28 PST 2003

>On 2/12/03 6:48 AM, "Lisbeth Zachs" <zachs at swedenmail.com> wrote:
>> onsdagen den 12 februari 2003 kl 14.18 skrev Les Posen:
>
>> iTunes is missing one element that would make it perfect -
>> pitch/tempo/speed control.
>
> Isn't that violating the original artist's performance?

It's just playback, so no. DJ's have been doing it forever. It's intent is
probably for minimal adjustments anyway(?)

> When I'm
> listening to a piece music played by an orchestra and its conductor, I
> trust they have choosen to play it like that.

But that music would sound horrible if you move the pitch up.. I do not know
what the original request was addressing, I am assuming for mixing music?
Most music is clearly defined to be played at a certain tempo, esp. behind a
conductor. These days - there are no rules though. Want to listen to it at
400BPM? Go ahead.

> I even find the Equlizer, now available, intruding so never use it.

What kind of sound system do you have? An EQ is one of the most
overused/misunderstood beasts.. It's purpose is not to make this song sound
really bassey or to tweak the sounds into something different than original.
(like all the boom cars do) It's purpose is to help you manually tweak out
the shortfalls of your sound system and the room it sits in. If you happen
to have really bright highs or floppy sounding bass, you simply tweak those
levels out of the EQ so you have even volume across the board. Given that
mp3's come from a variety of sources, I would expect the EQ necessary when
listending to say radio recordings or low budget single microphone voice
recordings.. You could leave the EQ alone, especially if you always listen
to (better quality) mp3's you ripped yourself.

Bill Reburn