[Ti] [OT] HTML/MIME emails

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Feb 13 11:48:13 PST 2003

>On 2/13/03 11:24 AM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:
>
> This is exactly why the majority of us abhor HTML mail... Just like
> the old design adage:
> "if you can't design well, use a rule."  Formatting text is actually
> a crutch for those who lack the ability to write well.  Good
> copywriters can sell their message with words alone; mediocre ones
> need to emphasize their points by manipulating the look of the text.
> If one cannot write a simple sentence or two that will entice me to
> click on a hyperlink to their "treated" text, I am not interested in
> their products.
>
> Obviously there is at least 35% of you who disagree, but remember
> both of the above paragraphs are opinions, choices with little basis
> in fact.

Ok, points taken.
My bad, I think I strayed into a conversation and made comments out of
context, I completely agree with what you're saying about selling something
(no one likes junk mail). The english language should absolutely stand on
it's own, no disrespect to the copywriters here!

I was not viewing the html stylized email argument in the same context of a
communication tool (like daily junk mail - where I completely agree, no
html). I see it also as another medium for stylized communications - like a
subscribed publication possibly sans advertising (since that would obviously
be the main force behind 'revenue').

I will do some research for myself but does the 65/35 ratio pertain
specifically to blind email (junk)? Or as a specific preference on email
usage, meaning people would rather be led with a link to a webpage? A
comment was made that Microsloth is the biggest push in this area.. That
alone sours it pretty nicely.

Thanks again for the schooling!

Bill Reburn