[Ti] 10.2.4 Update wiped out my Services :=)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 14 03:38:33 PST 2003

According to David Remahl:

>If you don't want Apple to "mess with your computer" then why do you
>install their system updates?
>
>Are the applications that contain the services stored in the
>/Applications directory or in ~/Applications? They must be in order
>to properly register their services. Services are stored inside of
>the applications, and only specialized applications are stored in
>*/Library/Services.
>
>/ Regards, David

Thanks for the suggestion David. But to answer your first question.
As a paid member of the Mac community, I do not feel that there
should be 'attrition' involved in updating the Operating System,
besides financial costs. If I go out and install some oddball utility
and the system goes haywire, well, that's my fault.. ha ha, I've been
there enough. This just came as a shock, i guess.

I usually am quite happy with Apple updates, certainly with all of
the OSX updates, so far. The Finder needs work, graphics handling
needed work, things like GetFileType need work, etc. I have generally
looked at Apple's updates in a far more favorable light than, say,
Microsoft's [which have a notoriety due to their additions of bells
and whistles, and ignorance of actual 'bug' fixes, until there's a
scandalous 'security' issue].

I've had BBEdit 7, and other apps that are involved here, in my
~/Applications folder all along. It seems that there is a 'block' on
them now. perhaps I'll move BBEdit over to the root applications
folder and see if it 'fixes' the situation, but I keep the apps
outside of the 'Apple' application folder for a reason. My iApps are
all still there, as are Cubase SX, Final Cut Pro, Boris FX, etc. [in
other words 3rd-party 'big' apps that prefer being closer to the root
directory].

The thing is, with me, 'Services' are really useful, and i use them
all the time. Thanks for the idea regarding the 'other' Applications
folder, that sounds like a winner.

<fingers crossed>
~flipper