[Ti] 10.2.4 Update wiped out my Services :=)

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Feb 14 03:22:52 PST 2003

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 11:07  am, David Remahl wrote:

> If you don't want Apple to "mess with your computer" then why do you
> install their system updates?

Actually i think it is reasonable to update your computer with the new
version of an OS from a reputable software house (Sun, Apple,OpenBSD),
but we need to be pragmatic about how and when we administer these
updates.

I won't update to 10.2.4 until the weekend (or in fact any Apple
update) because I rely on my system to work for me during the week.

It's a shame that Apple still "breaks" a lot of services/config on
installations of OSX, this is the kind of "schoolboy error" that I
never saw form Sun when I used to use Solaris from 1995 -1999.

OpenBSD is also treating me well these days.

This kind of thing is a blow to Apples reputation as a "serious
enterprise development platform" which we can see it is eagerly trying
to push with release of new X-Serve hardware and OSX Server product
lines.

If Apple is to rise above Microsoft and join the "Serious Enterprise
Development Platform" players it needs to avoid this sort of debacle
imho.

I can't speak for the problem reported with Services, (as I am still a
Services newbie), but the installer replacing my httpd.conf with a new
version (without PHP enabled as default) is unacceptable.

--

Anyway I'll upgrade tomorrow and let you know what I think :)

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com