[Ti] 10.2.4 Update wiped out my Services :=)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 14 15:11:43 PST 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>>I had formatting plugins in Services, to remove or reformat
>>anything using BBEdit,[things like removing formatting, 'quotes',
>>all caps, etc], also my MoosePad services were there, meaning any
>>time I highlighted text in a browser, email, whatever, I could
>>auto-open a new page in MoosePad with the selected text. And those
>>were just two of, perhaps 20 carefully selected apps.
>
>It was clearly spelled out in the documentation; third party apps
>like the above could be disabled...One thing I have learned since
>the very early releases of OSX is to read the documentation BEFORE
>upgrading.
>--

I understand that thinking perfectly well Mike,and agree with it.

However, when I'm on a 3200 dollar computer with 25 grand in
software, and time is money, and it's my life ( as in 100% of my
income) AND the system is slower than OS 9, with finder anomalies, a
system that consumes CPU time and RAM like nobody's business,
graphics 'issues', and other on-going areas of development, and they
come out and say 'this update addresses issues with Finder, graphics,
etc..." I went for it, of course.

And on top of that Apple has encouraged people to tweak the OS for
efficiency, ease-of-use, etc, for years...

My main grief was over BBEdit's crippled version of Services. I don't
consider that app to be some 'oddball' WindowShade' 'talking Moose'
utility, in any way.

In the old days, we buy the machine, that runs the software, that
lets us work/create. Period. If I wanted to go to the original vendor
and ask permission to enhance performance with another app, I'd buy a
Windoze box.

I mean, come on, I'm not saying that a 'cabal' in Cupertino said
"Hey, he's using BBEdit for text editing instead of TextEdit, let's
get him!!!" It's just a case of, in my often-times 20-hour workdays,
I'll use BBEdit countless times, I couldn't care less about Bluetooth
enabling in the 'global' services menu.

Besides, the OS knows every app on the box, every time it starts, so
why have Bluetooth  in "Services" constantly eating 'real estate' on
a box with zero Bluetooth? And how many millions of times will the OS
have to search for 'Additional start-up folders' before it realizes
that if there wasn't one on the 'boot up', and no packages have been
delivered, there isn't going to be one every time i want to reboot
into 9 or just restart, or boot into single-user?

It's no federal case I'm making, it's simply aggravating,
unnecessary, and increases, rather than decreases, my workload. You
know, I had pasta that was over-cooked once, too... didn't stop me
from eating Italian [I grew up in North beach] but it meant that when
I break my own 'rule' and order thin pasta in a restaurant, i always
look the man or woman, taking the order, in the eye, and make sure we
'understand each other' on the 'don't overcook deal.

~flipper