[Ti] Inexpensive Basestation options?

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Fri Feb 14 21:19:08 PST 2003

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 10:07 PM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> So, folks who don't spring for an airport using cable or dsl what are
> you using with you tibooks? I remember reading recently some threads
> about inexpensive basestations that delivery most of what the airport
> does. I don't need a modem as I won't have a phone line where I am.
> Ideally the cheaper options would provide WEP (for what that's worth)
> and offer better range than the airport but still co-exist with
> Tibooks and be easily configurable from a Tibook.

I guess I haven't found any IEEE 802.11b wireless basestations that
don't work with the wireless network card in TiBooks.  I have
personally used various models of Belkin, DLink, and Linksys WAP's,
WEP's, and wireless routers, and the Ti will connect to every one of
them.  At work, my gigabook will connect to our Belkin F5D6130 WAP at a
distance of ~600 ft in a completely different building than where the
WAP is located.  MacStumbler shows a signal strength of 30-32 and noise
of ~6.  A fluid ping to the router shows almost no packet loss at that
distance over the wireless link.  Previously, we had an Apple Airport
Basestation on that node and couldn't connect to it in the same
building in some places.
--
Chris Olson
Administrator