[Ti] Software Update everybody

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sat Feb 15 11:11:41 PST 2003

On 2/15/03 10:50 AM, "Steve Wozniak" <steve at woz.org> wrote:

> At 9:40 AM -0800 2/15/03, Bill Reburn wrote:
>
>> Funny how far we've come in such a short time. OSX really has opened up a
>> new world to us Mac users, I snicker when I see I haven't restarted since
>> the last update (usually AT LEAST 14 days+). A matter of months ago - we
>> were all living in the daily shutdown/restart world of OS9.
>
> Actually, the main cause of crashes was IE on MacOS 9. Using other browsers
> stopped the crashes.
>
> For example, many of us, who had regular crashes on our PowerBooks, ran web
> servers and the like with MacOS 9 (or 8) and they would run for months and
> even years without a crash.

POWERUSER IN THE HOUSE  ;-)

In that example I'll take your word for it.

My world consists of daily routines between the Quirk/ ID/ Photoshop/
Acrobat and Illustrator family. Back in OS9 days, even with 2GB of ram, fast
machine, bells and whistles, crashes happened. I had an excellent
workstation that I maintained very strict rules with (no shareware or app's
I wasn't using for work specifically). I could often get through days and
even a week or two where I was crash-free (sleep only). But between all the
.ps, .ai, .eps, .pdf, .qxd, .psd, .doc. files and whatever it is that
clients try to send sometimes - a 'melt down' was always inevitable.

Funny you speak of running a web server on your PB, back then was the
fan-noise issue some complain of today just not an issue? I guess it depends
on what you were serving off of your web server!!

Bill Reburn