[Ti] Software Update everybody

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat Feb 15 12:32:03 PST 2003

>Actually, the main cause of crashes was IE on MacOS 9. Using other
>browsers stopped the crashes.
>
>For example, many of us, who had regular crashes on our PowerBooks,
>ran web servers and the like with MacOS 9 (or 8) and they would run
>for months and even years without a crash.

I think that is one of the greatest benefits of OSX. IE is still
crappy and crashes, but the OS doesn't go with it.  Early OSX
versions of Eudora crashed regularly, but I still used it because it
was a 30 second annoyance within the app, rather than a few minute
loss of the OS and possible data from another app.

Chimera is still in version 0.6 and crashes once in a while... in OS9
I wouldn't be able to use such an unstable app on a production boxen.
So I would miss out on the tabbed browsing and speed advantages.

Illustrator 10 crashes so regularly (the longest I have every been
able to keep it running is less than an hour) in OSX that I save at
almost every change; Photoshop crashes too; but neither brings the
whole house down.  In OS9 an app crashing more often than not meant
losing everything unsaved in every other app and an OS reboot as well.

I do agree, however, that OS9 is very stable; as you mention Woz, we
have our AFP server running on a G3 beige tower running OS9 and I
can't remember the last time that thing needed a restart.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com