[Ti] [OT] iCal stupidity

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at cs.utk.edu
Sat Feb 15 23:07:26 PST 2003

>The problem you are seeing is related to the fact that it's trying
>to display the event times relative to the currently active time
>zone. So it's adjusted them after you've changed time zones.

I understand. But that's not terribly clever. My travel agent tells
me the time of my return flight in terms of the local time of
whatever time zone it takes place, and compensated for daylight
savings time, and the fact that some states don't do daylight savings
time, plus whatever contingencies I may be forgetting.

If iCal insists on adjusting the time, it should have an option of
entering an event time in another time zone. Right now it's putting
all the burden of computation on me. And I thought computers were
supposed to make life easier.

"John, I'm about to flight out to you"

   "Ok, the office opens at nine, just show up at that time"

"Eight o'clock it is"

   "No, I said nine"

"Yes but that's eight eastern time"

   "But I live in the central time zone"

"But I'm in eastern time"

   "I thought you were coming over to me to visit?!"

Et cetera. This is silly.
--
Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)