[OT] iCal Stupidity

Niels Meersschaert nmeersschaert at mac.com
Sun Feb 16 06:44:23 PST 2003

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 08:31 AM, Victor Eijkhout wrote:

> Not Ti-related but as Eduard remarked, this list is a community I
> feel at home in.
>
> The latest version of iCal (or maybe I just never noticed it before)
> changes the times on your events if you
> 1/ close it
> 2/ change timezone
> 3/ start it up again.
>
> This is pretty dumb, and it can make you miss flights and
> appointments: if you live on the west coast and make an event for
> your return flight, the time of that flight will change to 3 hours
> later when you are on the other coast. At least if you change your
> timezone, which I do when I'm on travel.

iCal events are built with a your local timezone associated with them,
so that when you switch timezones, their times are shown in your local
timezone & thus are shifted from the timezone with which they were set.
  In the example you give for setting your return flight, the approach
to use is to change your timezone to your destination time zone.
Create the return flight event & then switch back to your local
timezone.  Not pretty, but it fixes the issue you describe.  The other
approach would be to set the time of the event shifted 3 hours over,
such that when viewed in the destination local time, it will show
correctly.

What Apple does need to do is to add in timezone settings within the
app, so that setting up events like this are easier.  Since some events
like flights will start in one timezone & end in others, I'd like the
option to define both start & end timezones.  This won't cause problems
for duration, but it will possibly be confusing. Say for example that
you have a flight from New York to LA.  It leaves NY at 3pm & arrives
in LA at 6pm.  Even though you will have set the ending time as 6pm in
LA, it will show up in your calendar as lasting from 3pm to 9pm when
viewing it in Eastern Timezone, since the flight lasts 6 hours.   But
when you switch to Pacific Timezone, it will properly show your arrival
time as 6pm, but that you left at noon.  I'm not sure how confusing the
timezone discrepancy will be to users, so it may make sense to hide the
timezone options.

I think the limiting factor is icalendar syntax.  At least in the
current syntax there is no way to define the end time of an event,
simply the start & duration.  Thus the app would need to interpret the
starting & ending timezones you enter in the UI and convert them into
an actual duration.