[Ti] [OT] iCal Stupidity

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at cs.utk.edu
Sun Feb 16 07:24:52 PST 2003

>iCal events are built with a your local timezone associated with
>them, so that when you switch timezones, their times are shown in
>your local timezone & thus are shifted from the timezone with which
>they were set.

Right. Now I'm wondering, the reason this showed up was that I
restarted iCal while on travel, and the restart was because I
upgraded to 10.2.4. I have no evidence that this behaviour was
present in earlier iCal versions. Was it?

>  In the example you give for setting your return flight, the
>approach to use is to change your timezone to your destination time
>zone.  Create the return flight event & then switch back to your
>local timezone.  Not pretty, but it fixes the issue you describe.

It fixes what I would call a design error.

>events like this are easier.  Since some events like flights will
>start in one timezone & end in others, I'd like the option to define
>both start & end timezones.  This won't cause problems for duration,
>but it will possibly be confusing.

Right. I vote for no changes in event times. That does mean that my
flight westward will look very short and the return flight very long,
but _so_bleeping_what_? I'm not using iCal to bill hours. I can deal
with such a peculiarity. I find the current behaviour much more
annoying, and any solution (like you propose) extremely cumbersome.

If you need to change the timezone to enter the time of the return
flight, do you also have to change daylight savings time if that
flight is on the other side of the change?

--
Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)