[Ti] Netgear vs. Airport

John Karwowski, MD jkarwowski at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 10:47:59 PST 2003

On 2/17/03 10:09, "Victor Eijkhout" <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu> wrote:

> I have a non-Apple wireless basestation. Some of the features you
> want to look out for:
>
> -- does it have a serial port so that you can connect over modem in
> case of emergency
> -- does it have ether ports out

The Airport seems to be the only one that has the modem, additional for
$250. The Netgear has multiple ethernet ports.

> The new Apples support 802.11g, so that's going to be more expensive
> than other brands which still only do 802.11b. But if you only have
> "old" macs with 11b you don't need it.

I currently have a Ti 550, so yes, I only need the 802.11b. But I see an
iMac in the future, and may want to use that wirelessly as well. I believe
it is now Extreme ready.

> USB printer sharing: that works fine independent of the router, I
> think. I have a USB printer on my desktop Mac, enable Printer
> Sharing, and I print on it from my laptop wirelessly.

Right now, I am with just one computer, but it is good to know that I may be
able to use printer sharing when I get the iMac, without the need for the
new Airport.

How well does Airport handle PPoE? That is how how my DSL connection works.

At $79 after rebates, it seems like a no lose proposition to go with the
Netgear for now; the arguments for Airport seem based on only potential
contingencies.

Thanks for the info,

John