Flaky *&%$ Superdrive!

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Feb 17 11:39:45 PST 2003

I just spent about 2 hours online with the AppleCare centre trying to
resolve a problem with my SuperDrive.

I have a really great CD of Acoustic Guitar music that I have been playing
for the last couple of days while I work. This afternoon when I broke for
coffee, I tried to eject it and it refused. It would bounce off the front of
the drive facing and go back in. I tried rebooting with mouse button
depressed. I tried going to Open Firmware and forcing a CD eject. I tried
ejecting from iTunes, from the Finder. Nothing worked.

Finally I tried inserting the corner of a business card and ejecting. It
didn't work, but the next eject attempt did. I finally have the Jason Fowler
Guitar disk in my hand!

The thing is, I can't see anything different about this disk from other
acoustic disks that I have. And other disks, both data and Audio slide in
and out of my Superdrive without a problem.

So, to tempt fate, I inserted the Jason Fowler disk again. And again it took
about 50 eject attempts to get it out!

It is not warped, it doesn't have any rough edges and it is perfectly
centered.

What gives?

jg