[Ti] DHCP can be static IP but dynamic Router

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at cs.utk.edu
Thu Feb 20 11:12:28 PST 2003

>Another way that DHCP can be used is when the router is smart enough
>to match IP addresses with Ethernet (MAC) addresses. That way a
>static address can be assigned to each machine centrally, at the
>router, rather than configuring machines individually. All machines
>use DHCP, but get their pre-assigned static IP address via DHCP
>every time they boot.

That's what my home network does. I imagine that's sufficient to
prevent war driving: my setup will only give an IP address to MAC
addresses it knows. The interface then requires me to specify a
static IP address, but that's no problem. (This is an SMC router,
which I'm quite happy with.)
--
Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)