[Ti] [OT] New 20" LCD display _requires_ OS X ???

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Thu Feb 20 16:22:16 PST 2003

At 3:54 pm -0800 20/2/03, Paul Russell wrote:
>Most of their work is producing a newspaper using Quark XPress. I
>don't think it's even the latest version of XPress so it may be risky
>to try running this under Classic emulation. There's also the issue
>of the additional RAM needed for OS X. I don't think the expense and
>hassle of upgrading to OS X is worth it for them, especially if the
>only reason is to be able use a new display - it would be more
>sensible to get an LCD display which works OK with their existing
>configuration.

In which case absolutely avoid Os X -- and continue to avoid it for at
least six months after QuarkXpress 6 eventually appears, complete with
standard Quark dot-oh bugs.

Take a look at Formac LCDs. They are better than Apple's in some ways, eg
work fine with Os 9, more screen estate, allegedly more contrast, cheaper
... but not as robust nor as beautiful.

Simon