[Ti] [OT] Micro$oft acquires Virtual PC - the kiss of death ?

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Thu Feb 20 16:49:53 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 07:25 PM, John Griffin wrote:

> Yup! Looks as if Micro-snot is aiming a broadside at the Mac community.
> Probably if we don't have a copy of Virtual PC, we should get it now
> before
> they squash the product for good.

I think this is a bit paranoid and I'd be willing to bet it will turn
out to be unfounded.

> A real shame too! Connectix was one of the most innovative Mac
> developers
> anywhere.

Hrmmm - if you say so.  I've only ever been disappointed with VPC
performance.

> What do you think the chances are that they will keep Virtual PC
> going. On
> the one hand, it is a way of selling a few more (very few, admittedly)
> Windoz packages. On the other hand, it is a way of making switchers
> who are
> trying to do things both ways on one machine switch back - and those
> who are
> on the brink of switching to think again.

Dunno who these switchers in danger of switching back or not switching
are.  I'm not one of them - that's for sure.  I have VPC 5.04 at work
on my Dual 1.25 gig and only use it for convenience's sake - and hardly
ever at that since Microsoft released the RDC for OS X.  I wouldn't
dream of using VPC on my TiBook - too slow.  Sure - there are Windows
programs I'm doing without at home or on the road - but they obviously
aren't important or I would bite the bullet and use VPC.

A friend of mine is a fellow switcher - uses an older white iBook -
maybe a 500.  He has a nice fast PC in his computer room he uses for
games and some few things, but the bulk of his computing - email,
iChat, web - is done on the iBook.

I don't know - I don't consider myself rabidly switched or anything,
but my motto is "if it doesn't run native in OS X I don't need it."