[Ti] [OT] New 20" LCD display _requires_ OS X ???

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Thu Feb 20 16:48:52 PST 2003

>On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 05:28 PM, Paul Russell wrote:
>
>>So, would it be worth buying the 20" LCD display to use with their
>>G4 running 9.2.2 ? What is the best resolution it will run at ? Is
>>there a better alternative given that they cannot afford to upgrade
>>to OS X > ?
>
>I *have* the 20" Cinema Display and no, I do not think it would be
>worth buying if it does not support the native resolution.
>
>Not sure of a worthwhile alternative ... but I have to wonder - if
>they can spend $1300 for a 20" Cinema Display why can't they
>"afford" to upgrade to OS X?

OK - in a nutshell - their old 20" CRT display died - they produce a
newspaper so a large screen is fairly essential - there doesn't seem
to be any significant reason for them to upgrade to OS X - and there
are a LOT of reasons /not/ to upgrade to OS X (cost, hassle, time,
Quark XPress, RAM upgrades, software upgrades, wetware upgrades ;-),
etc, etc).

So, the most pragmatic way for them to spend their money is on a new
display that doesn't necessitate the major step of "upgrading" to OS
X - horses for courses and all that. $1200 for the Apple 20" LCD
seemed like a worthwhile expenditure. I imagine they'll go for a 17"
LCD now and if the lack of screen real estate becomes a problem then
they can always add a second display card and a 15" or 17" second
display.

Paul