[Ti] [OT] Quark on OSX(Classic)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 21 10:12:48 PST 2003

According to Bill Reburn:

>Quark 5 has some good ideas there, but for me - at a time when OSX was
>smacking everyone in the face I thought Quark 5 was a complete waste..
>Little did I know that Quark REALLY would drag their feet this long.
>Stability issue's aside - what did it improve for you?
>
>Doesn't matter to me now anyway though.. Since moving to ID, when I watch
>anyone using Quark I laugh.
>
>Whatever floats your boat eh?

Exactly. I have 'legacy' documents, that function as many-paged
templates for periodicals. The basic design of these docs contain a
minimum of 450+ 'baseline shifts', which ID, despite what it says,
cannot import and display, properly. [actually, at all]. That alone
keeps me from using it.

The stability issue is of paramount importance to me... BUT, I also
keep a lean OS 9 [which i love, BTW], and part of its 'lean-ness' is
an absence of internet-related apps. No fluff whatsoever. My thinking
was: Why sacrifice drive real estate on my
Internet/research/duplicated Adobe apps, etc?

But, in my work, under deadline, invariably I need to hit the Web for
a better photo, get an updated ad-copy from a client, etc. And that
means re-booting into OSX, for me. Big pain. But necessary, and at
the worst possible times, too.

All of my favorite Photoshop plugs are OSX-only, which is another
reason why, when I first booted InDesign [and InCopy] I thought it
looked great. But the failure to import baseline shifts killed me.
It's hardly a major problem, for someone who didn't need it, and
would be a non-existent 'problem' if I were starting entirely new
docs/publications.

As well, I would never use Quark to publish to the Web, nor would I
use Adobe. Why? When there's Macromedia? If Macromedia took a run at
Illustrator, I'd trash all of my Adobe apps except Photoshop. I can
barely tolerate the Illustrator interface, yet, when an early
'fanatic' for InDesign mentioned that "If you like lllustrator's
interface, InDesign will be an easy learning curve", STILL I looked
into ID. <Laughs>

Quark 5.1 in OS 9.2.2 is not a 'perfect' app. Everyone else in the
office, that I telecommute with, uses Quark 4 on G3s and PPCs.
They're crashing all the time. But then, I use disk de-frag tools,
and do other things, so the factors are too numerous and divergent to
'really' do a side-by-side comparison.

Part of the deal with serious workflow software really IS 'whatever
floats your boat' though. I'm used to Quark. I know what it can do.
My documents took two weeks to put together, in Quark, at first, and
today i can bang out 'better' versions of the same [page numbers,
design-rich] docs in 8 hours.

If I take on more clients [which I am not likely to do, soon] I
always tell myself "Use InDesign for anything new". So, I'm not
narrow-minded, but neither am I in a rush to 'fix' or abandon, a
platform/app that has done so much for me... like support me 100%,
for starters.  :=)

Happy InDesigning  :=)

~flipper