[Ti] new tibook arrival

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Feb 22 03:15:50 PST 2003

At 23:38 -0600 21-2-2003, t molnar wrote:
>Well finally my new tibook, I ordered end of December, has arrived.

Which Ti-book do you now have?

>1. Is there much advantage if any to setting up different volumes on
>the 60 Gb hard drive?
>
>Suggestions and advice welcome.

My personal approach is to partition my (40 Gb) hard drive.

I have one partition each for:

- OS X
- Classic
- Virtual PC
- my WORK, and sofware (installers)
- music & photos

I keep my work separate from the OS partitions.

I run an incremental backup every day, except of the music, as I back
that up on to a separate Firewire 20 Gb drive.

>2. It comes with 10.2 version OS X.  Sometimes people suggest
>reformatting the drive and installing everything from scratch, not
>entirely trusting Apple's initial machine setup.  Is this really
>warranted or not?

When you decide to partition the drive, of course the OS must be re-installed.
That is what I always do.
Once (quite a while ago), since I have had this Ti-500, I have
reformatted the OS X partition, and installed OS X again.
In such a case, none of the pother partitions are changed or
affected.  I prefer it that way.

regards,  Trevor