[Ti] Invisible Dock (for Massimo Marino)

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at cs.utk.edu
Sun Feb 23 06:56:16 PST 2003

>Unfortunately that is what I meant: the hide and show. It does not
>happen frequently (at least for me) to be with the cursor on the
>last pixels of my screen estate where the Dock is hiding.

How on earth do you manage that? Example: Eudora opens new windows at
full screen height. If I want to resize I need to go to the bottom of
the screen. So I just give the mouse a good push and it's there. It's
way too much work too move slowly, sloooowwly, slooooooowwwwlllly to
exactly the right pixel without overshooting.

>If you want it permanently (how *permanently* can be *more or less*
>? ;-) ) invisible than you need an AppSwitcher to start applications
>(so not to have the desktop cluttered with icons), something a la

LaunchBar or DragThing. Yep. I use those two. DragThing has its apps
dock open, which i use to switch between open apps, and I use
LaunchBar for opening new stuff. I could live without DragThing, but
I've used it for years, so it's kinda what I'm used to. Additionally
I have DefaultFolder to take me to favourite or recent places in the
Open dialog. Between those, and sometimes just opening Finder windows
and using Find as a last resort, I don't need the Dock. Ok, it's a
pity of those cute dock apps, but that's the sacrifice I'll make for
living with a whole lot less irritation.

--
Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at cs.utk.edu>
tel: 865 974 9308 (W), 865 673 6998 (H), 865 974 8296 (F)