[Ti] new tibook arrival

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 16:37:57 PST 2003

According to cbirds:

>  >I wonder now. Maybe you should go ahead and install OSX [since you
>>don't appear to have a choice], and pick the partition you want it
>>on, as part of the Install process. Then, when you do the OS9 .pkg
>>install, just pick another partition as the target of the package
>>installer. I don't think you have a 'problem' there. The pkg
>>installers are handy, and will still offer you the opportunity to
>>point the install at the drive or partition of your choice. As long
>>as you set your partitions up, in advance, the way you want them, you
>>should have no problem.
>
>I suppose this shouldn't be a problem because there is nothing on this
>machine yet since I bought it, so I can afford to experiment, but
>wondering if this fails, how I would restore the system to how it came? I
>know this procedure inside and out for all models before this, even how
>to get the programs out of the bundled stuff and put everything back and
>update it......but this X thing with two systems running side by side is
>a little sticky when you throw in partitions and the fact that the
>machine will not run on 9 alone, and that you don't have a 9 CD that will
>boot it (my latest universal install CD won't) even though it has a
>separate system folder for 9 as well as the "classic" ability, which
>frankly I would hate to use...rather use the apps in the system they were
>intended.

If you notice, I just echoed the Installer's instructions. You do the
install of OSX, first, then launch the OS 9 .pkg [which is a package
installer] from OSX, once you're rebooted into the newly-installed
OSX.

All I was suggesting was that, as with every pkg installer I've seen,
you will be given a choice, by the pkg installer, itself, to pick the
target [meaning drive/volume, etc] where the pkg will install to. So,
pick the partition you created with OS 9 in mind. It should go very
smoothly.

~flipper