1-800-4(crappy)memory call us!

Kevin Hoth khoth at arches.uga.edu
Tue Feb 25 20:39:09 PST 2003

Thanks to those who replied to my RAM queries. I ended up trying
18004Memory and the 512MB dimm was $85.
So i added the $14 to get it in 2 days via FedEx (since I saved some
dough). Well, I'm sure you can tell what's coming.

This is my lovely new 1 GHz TiBook that I just got a week ago, mind you.

Everything has been working great--no problems whatsoever.

So I run out to pick up my FedEx package (cuz they haven't yet entered
into their system that I want them to just LEAVE packages like everyone
else) after work and flip the book over and take out one of the 256 ram
chips it shipped with, put in the new 512. I get all the cables hooked
back up, restart, and I get a
flashing folder/ question mark then a multilingual "hold down your
power button to shut down now!" On the restart the machine starts
despite this. What the heck? I haven't had a single problem with this
machine.

Could it be the RAM? Naw.
Could I have done something goofy putting in? Naw.

So I try to run my Norton CD on the OSX partition and it can't read the
whole thing!!!!! Sumnuva _____!!!!! I reboot several more times from
the cd and the OS9
partition try and clean up the drive. So then I get it working fine
after a couple of hours. All the time i am thinking--oh it was probably
because of some drivers or some bad software or something or too many
mp3's or SOMEthing other than RAM. Well, since I am a(n) (idiotic)
scientist I had to go and put the 512 in again. Hmmm, can you surmise
what happened?!!!!??!?!?!?!?

Well, i got the wierd screen with a dialogue box in like 12 languages
telling me to hold the power button to shut down. Fantastic. I took the
RAM out, replaced the 256 dimm and guess what?
My machine is norm'd again. I guess you get what you pay for. Somebody
at 18004MEMORY is gonna have a new one torn into 'em tomorrow, i tell
you what.

Just thought i might warn others out there looking for RAM upgrades. I
know it's always buyer beware and others who wrote me had no problems
with 18004 but after this experience I think I will trust others like
Crucial or Kingston.

+kevin