[Ti] Disk Permissions

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 22:23:50 PST 2003

Pay a visit to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107230
and you'll find the following problem description:
'Disk Utility reports: "Group differs on ./private/var/run/utmp, should
be 0, group is 1"'
With the following solution:
'The message is not accurate and is not a cause for concern.'

Ignore it, and return to your regularly scheduled life.  :-)

A future version of Disk Utility should automatically ignore that file.

b <galahad9 at earthlink.net> writes:
> As for the disk permissions. There's no getting around them. I'll
> fire mine up right now, in order to retrieve a 'copy' of the file
> that is ALWAYS in need of changing. It has been a few days, so i know
> it will be 'messed-up'. be right back...
>
> Ah yes, here it is:
>> Group differs on ./private/var/run/utmp, should be 0, group is 1
>> Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp
>> Permissions corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp
>
> Every time. The same blurb. I have to assume that the file/directory
> called 'utmp' must be re-written a lot, otherwise simple logic would
> dictate that it be 'locked', or, if third-party installers or web
> spyware, or Ashcroft is responsible, then, at least, it should only
> be written to by the 'super user', but noooooo.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html