[Ti] 1-800-4(crappy)memory call us!

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue Feb 25 00:02:18 PST 2003

At 23:39 -0500 25-2-2003, Kevin Hoth wrote:
>  18004Memory and the 512MB dimm was $85.
>
>  I get a flashing folder/ question mark then a multilingual "hold
>down your power button to shut down now!" On the restart the machine
>starts despite this. What the heck? I haven't had a single problem
>with this machine.
>
>  Well, since I am a scientist
>
>I took the RAM out, replaced the 256 dimm and guess what?  My
>machine is norm again.

Kevin - sorry to hear about your experience, but good that you shared
it with us.  Buyer beware, indeed.
Just to let you know - as a scientist myself - that if I put new RAM
in, and my Ti went haywire, I would take the RAM out immediately, and
see if it was norma againl.  Then the RAM is immediately identified
as the problem.  Normally, the source of computer problems is not so
easily identified.  But a step change in a reversible configuration
is one of the easiest.

I just replaced (a few days ago) one of the original 256 MB RAM chips
in my Ti-500 with a 512 Mb that I got from fellow-list-member Fred
Clarke, and the Ti restarted normally and has never missed a beat
since.

regards,  Trevor