(OT) Apple Europe's generous but daft offer to teachers in Europe

F. Mortes fmortes at saltidiomes.com
Wed Feb 26 11:17:09 PST 2003

Hi,

This is rather off-topic, I'm afraid, but I'd like to hear other
experiences from teachers/educators on the list, if possible.

I talked to someone at the Apple Store here in Europe today and they
confirmed the following:

1. Apple is indeed giving out Jaguar for FREE to all those teachers who
apply via their website

I already knew about this offer (which will hardly be news at all to
those living in the US)

2. Approximately 15 days later, teachers will get Jaguar PLUS a voucher
which entitles them to purchase iLife and/or Keynote for 18 Eur each.

This confirmed what I had read on www.macuarium.com

Now, I am very interested in purchasing Keynote, but I'm on a very
tight budget (saving up for a 17'' iMac), so this is great news! Thank
you Apple!

HOWEVER,

I already have Jaguar, which I bought a while back, so I enquired if
there was any way I could bypass the "get-Jag-first" step. I'd save
time and Apple would save a license. Well, I was kindly told that, no,
I had to first apply for Jag, wait 15 days, then send off the voucher
for Keynote (with the Eur) and probably wait another 15 days (or more)
before I eventually get the app.

OK, I know that the price is great, but doesn't the whole thing seem a
bit daft?

Bemused in Barcelona

Francesc