[Ti] What is port 110?

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Sat Jan 4 10:44:57 PST 2003

On 1/3/03 12:27 PM, "Mark Swanson" <mswanson9988 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The original "main" drive has mail and browser
> working fine.  The same set up on the new drive keeps telling me the
> the mail program and browser can't communicate on "port 110".  I
> checked all system prefs for port information, no go.  How do I change
> (if that is what I need to do) the port the new drive/system is using?
> When I changed the drive in my TiBook and upgraded to 10.2.3, no
> problems with mail or browser.  Is this a terminal operation?  Mark

Leave POP ports alone. Unless you're like me and have to use port 25 for SSH
because of our brilliant firewall rules --25 allowed, SSH not allowed. Good
grief.

Port
    Detailed Description of Common Ports
80
    WebServer Port 80
When a user types in your IP address or Host Name in their browser, the
browser will look at the IP address on port 80 by default for the web pages.

21
    FTP Server Port 21
When someone attempts to connect to your FTP Server, the FTP client will
attempt the connection on Port 21 by default. Port 21 must be open for
standard FTP clients to log in and connect to your server.

23
    Telnet Server Port 23
If you run a Telnet server, this port is required for the Telnet Client to
connect to your server. Telnet can be used for other ports to check
services, but in order to use telnet for remote admin and login, port 23
must be open.

25
    SMTP Server Port 25
When someone sends a mail message to your SMTP Server, the mail will attempt
to come in to your server on Port 25. This is the standard SMTP (Simple Mail
Transport protocol) a user types in your IP address or Host Name in their
browser, the browser will look at the IP address on port 80 for the web
page.

110
    POP Server Port 110
When you run a mail server computer, users will typically log into that
machine via POP3 (Post Office Protocol) or IMAP4 (Internet Message Access
Protocol) to retrieve their mail. POP3 is the most popular protocol for
accessing mailboxes.

119
    News (NNTP) Server Port 119
When you run a News server, typically News Clients wanting to connect to
your news server will connect on port 119. This port needs to be open to run
your own news server.

137-139    Netbios over TCP/IP Port 137-139
When you run Microsoft File and Print Sharing, these connections take place
over these ports 137-139. Most ISP, Cable and DSL companies will block these
ports due to security reasons. If these Ports are open, you can usually
share files and printers over the Internet.

389    LDAP Server Port 389
LDAP or Lightweight Directory Access Protocol is becoming popular for
Directory access, or Name, Telephone, Address directories. For Example
LDAP://LDAP.Bigfoot.Com is a LDAP directory server.

143    IMAP4 Server Port 143
IMAP4 or Internet Message Access Protocol is becoming more popular and is
used to retrieve Internet Mail from a remote server. It is more disk
intensive, since all messages are stored on the server, but it allows for
easy online, offline and disconnected use.

443    Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Server Port 443
When you run a secure server, SSL Clients wanting to connect to your Secure
server will connect on port 443. This port needs to be open to run your own
Secure Transaction server.

1352    Lotus Notes RPC Port 1352
Lotus Notes uses Port 1352 for it's Remote Procedure Call and Notes
Replication. If you want to run a Lotus Notes Server, then port 1352
typically needs to be open, or another port should be defined in the
Notes.ini file.

1503 &1720    Microsoft NetMeeting Ports 1503 and 1720
MS NetMeeting allows you to host an Internet VideoConference with other
NetMeeting users. NetMeeting is a free product that can be found on the
Microsoft Website at http://www.microsoft.com

5631    PCAnywhere Port 5631
When a PCAnywhere server is set up to receive remote requests, it listens on
TCP port 5631. This allow you to run a PCAnywhere host and use the Internet
to connect back and remotely control your PC.

6667 & 7000    Internet Relay Chat (IRC) Server Ports 6667 and 7000
When you run an IRC server, typically IRC Clients want to connect to your
IRC server on port 6667 or port 7000. These ports typically need to be open
to run your own IRC server.