[Ti] TV as a video monitor

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 7 07:48:26 PST 2003

on 03/01/06 18:16, Jim Reamer at jna1322 at mac.com wrote:

>   I'm trying to use my G4 PowerBook to show video in my classroom
> using a TV as a monitor. I'm using a S cable for video and Y cable -
> RCA to headphone jack -  for sound. On my home TV, a new JVC, I get the
> desktop design but no icons and only random windows. The help window
> won't show on the TV but the system preferences window does. The movie
> definitely does not! Can anyone help?

Macs are almost completely plug and play, but you do have to do a little
work.  Connect your TV, then open your System Preferences.  Under Hardware,
open Displays.  It sounds like you are operating with the default "Extended
Desktop" which is very cool but confusing to the new user.  Try to move
windows off the screen at each edge, watch the TV and you'll see what I
mean.  Look at the various options in the control panel.  It would take a
long time to explain.

I believe what you want is for the TV and Ti display to both show the same
thing.  To get that, look for a checkbox to enable "mirroring" or something
like that.

Jerry

>   Also, I had to change my "region" when I started the DVD for the
> first time. It said I have only 4 or 5 more opportunities to change. I
> don't know that means but it sounds ominous.

I dunno.