[Ti] TV as a video monitor

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Tue Jan 7 08:24:25 PST 2003

IMPROTANT NOTE:  When using a TV as a monitor, if you mirror the two
monitors (computer screen and TV), you must set the TiBook to 640 by 480
resolution (the digital equivalent of analog NTSC television).  That
will ensure that everything will be visible on the TV screen that is on
your computer screen.  Other resolution settings will produce unexpected
(and pershaps even unintelligible) results.

The "region" question has to do with your DVD drive.  It means you can
only change regions a limited number of times.  It determines which DVDs
will play in your drive and which will not, based on what region of the
world they were sold.

The entertainment industry's paranoia over protecting their digital
rights while trampling on ours has led to setting up regions throughout
the known world.  For example, if you have set the region for your drive
to North America, you cannot play a DVD from another region -- Europe,
Asia, or Australia, for example.  The rationale is that you must have a
obtained an illegal copy of the DVD because no one would ever buy a DVD
in Europe then bring it to the US, right?  I understand the theory, and
I respect the issue of copyright protection of intellectual property.  I
adhere to it personally and expect others to respect my rights of
ownership of my original work as well.  But I feel that the 800 lb
gorrillas of the computer industry -- Microsoft and Intel specifically
-- have caved in on this issue of digital rights management.
Fortunately, Apple Computer has not.  Keep up the fight!

Ron Woodland

Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 03/01/06 18:16, Jim Reamer at jna1322 at mac.com wrote:
>

>>  I'm trying to use my G4 PowerBook to show video in my classroom
>>using a TV as a monitor. I'm using a S cable for video and Y cable -
>>RCA to headphone jack -  for sound. On my home TV, a new JVC, I get the
>>desktop design but no icons and only random windows. The help window
>>won't show on the TV but the system preferences window does. The movie
>>definitely does not! Can anyone help?
>>

> Macs are almost completely plug and play, but you do have to do a little
> work.  Connect your TV, then open your System Preferences.  Under Hardware,
> open Displays.  It sounds like you are operating with the default "Extended
> Desktop" which is very cool but confusing to the new user.  Try to move
> windows off the screen at each edge, watch the TV and you'll see what I
> mean.  Look at the various options in the control panel.  It would take a
> long time to explain.
>
> I believe what you want is for the TV and Ti display to both show the same
> thing.  To get that, look for a checkbox to enable "mirroring" or something
> like that.
>
> Jerry
>

>>  Also, I had to change my "region" when I started the DVD for the
>>first time. It said I have only 4 or 5 more opportunities to change. I
>>don't know that means but it sounds ominous.
>>

> I dunno.

Ronald Woodland -- St. George, Utah  84770