[Ti] Happy 1 Ghz Powerbook users! - I am

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Jan 7 14:38:43 PST 2003

On  Wed, 8 Jan 2003 05:52:02 +0900 alan kastner <wallah at gol.com> wrote:

> Oh yeah, I'm also happy to see new products being developed so quickly. Our
TiBooks were destined from Day 1 to be the last of the form factor that was born
2 years ago. While the announcement of its brethren came a little sooner than I
expected, I'd rather see it happen now than have Apple wait just to prevent
pissing off GigaBook owners. Again, the new machines represent an expansion in
purchase options, not a direct upgrade of what we purchased.

I am afraid I have a bit more cynical view of this. I do not agree that
these TiPBs were destined to be anything other than a way of dumping
leftover parts. Apple had planned the new AlPB many months ago to take over
the Powerbook lineup.

Problem: There were so many parts for the TiPB in all the bins.

Solution: We design a last-in-the-line model with just enough bells and
whistles that thousands will gobble it up and we will get rid of most the
spare parts. Then when we have manufactured enough gighz powerbooks to lower
our inventory just enough, we release the new thing!

Of course another problem may rear its ugly head: the parts inventory may
now get to critical levels so that warranty repairs will get impossibly
backlogged.

Sorry about all those gullible suckers, but that's business!

jg