[Ti] Happy 1 GHz PowerBook users!

Chris Cargen chris at hospitalityamerica.com
Wed Jan 8 07:20:33 PST 2003

All,

Its been interesting reading all the Ti Listers' reactions to the 17"
PowerBook. I presently own 3 Ti's - a 500, an 800 an a I GHz. I usually buy
the newest and then keep handing the older ones down to family and
associates in my company.

So I could place an order today for a new 17" PowerBook with no financial
strain whatsoever. But, the 17" PowerBook doesn't appeal to me enough yet
for these reasons:

 1). There is no slip case or brief case yet available to transport it
safely (But I'm pleased that Apple is already taking orders for a new case
being built by Brenthaven for it).

2). I think the 15" size is just right for MY use. I think pulling out a 17"
PowerBook in the frequent business meetings I'm in would be somewhat
unwieldy.

3). The 1.4 lb heavier PowerBook would get old as much as I am in and out of
airports nearly every week.

4). I don't particularly like the various ports being side mounted and
uncovered.

5). Except for the 2X verses 1X SuperDrive, and maybe a slightly faster
video card (no relative speed tests yet available), the 1 GHz 17" is no
faster than my 1 GHz 15".

6). The bigger 17" screen is both a blessing and a curse. Like anybody, I'd
love to have the bigger screen real estate but not at the expense of the
bigger dimensions. It's already a challenge opening and using a 15"
PowerBook in coach (I mostly fly Southwest).

All of that said, I am extremely pleased that Apple is adding both the 12"
and 17" PowerBooks to the PowerBook line and that Steve Jobs said in the
keynote that 2003 would be the Year of the Notebook at Apple. That portends
future improvements emphasis for both the PowerBook and iBook lines.

My only fear is that they abandon the 15" form factor sometime down the road
because for me it is the PERFECT form factor.

My hope is that in late April (same time as last year), they update the 15"
PowerBook with Bluetooth, faster firewire, faster airport, faster SuperDrive
and of course a faster chip speed. I further hope that they keep all or most
of the ports behind a cover in the back.

At least for me the 15" PowerBook remains the better PowerBook.

But as a business owner and an Apple stockholder (my only "emotional" stock
holding), I would like to see Apple improve and up-date all of their
computers as fast as it makes economic sense for them to do so. If they
don't constantly innovate and "ship", they simply will not survive.

Chris Cargen
President/CEO

Hospitality America, Inc.
9005 Overlook Blvd.
Brentwood, Tennessee 37027
Phone: (615) 370-9600
Fax: (615) 370-0713
web site: www.hospitalityamerica.com
e-mail: chris at hospitalityamerica.com

Operators of Hampton Inns, Hampton Inn & Suites, Homewood Suites By Hilton
and Wingate Inns throughout the Southeast featuring FREE high speed Internet
connections and Wi-Fi lobbies.