[Ti] Safari Dagger

alan kastner wallah at gol.com
Thu Jan 9 10:38:43 PST 2003

>I wonder how Omnigroup, Mozilla, Opera feel about new safari.
>I seems that it is kind of a slap in the face for the companies that
>worked on X browsers.

While the other camps are still to be heard from, the CEO of the Omni Group has already sent a gracious letter to Apple congratulating them on Safari. Apple has since released the open source code for the rendering engine used in Safari, the Omni Group has downloaded it, and apparently will use it in OmniWeb 5. That should help them to get the product to market sooner while allowing them to focus on other aspects of the interface and feature set of the program itself.

On other fronts, Apple contacted the open source team at KDE as soon as Safari was announced. There appears to be a spirit of sharing and helping each other further develop the code, and this should lead to better browsers for both Mac and KDE users.

 alan