[Ti] What a "moron" (not my word)

Gary Wall macsleuth at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 9 18:02:55 PST 2003

Bravo Mburke. Well said.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: PowerBook G4 Titanium List [mailto:Titanium at lists.themacintoshguy.com]
On Behalf Of MBurke6225 at aol.com
Sent: January 9, 2003 8:54 PM
To: PowerBook G4 Titanium List
Subject: Re: [Ti] What a "moron" (not my word)

In a message dated 1/9/2003 5:49:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cmmcdonald at mac.com writes:

> May I suggest reasoned responses rather than flames?

Colin is right.  And let's not call people morons.  Technically challenged,
sure.  The foundation of Michael Kanellos Tech News CNET argument is (I
quote):

"If Apple had changed the course of history in the 1980s and emerged as the
guiding force in computing, we'd be up to our necks in graphic artists,
freelance DJs and career temp employees.)

Microsoft and Intel understand this completely. Standards exist in the
industry not because of a secret, evil conspiracy. They exist because, in
many circumstances, conformity is more important than perfection. That's why
the two companies, and the rest of the PC market, spend more time talking
about price and availability than anything else."  End of quote.

I am not a fan of the cult-like attitudes of many Mac users.  Every MacWorld
comes across like a meeting of "trekkies" pouring over a new Leonard Nimoy
"I Could Be Spock" book.  So I can understand the uninitiated attempting an
attack on all Mac users based upon the histrionics of a few.  However, facts
are facts and the fact is the Macintosh is far and away a more stable
platform than any Windows machine out there.

Mac attracts artists, no doubt, but the reason is simple:  Mac gives the
artists a creative platform that is artistic.  But Mr. Kanellos erred when
he brought his personal frustrations into his criticism.  He lost all
credibility.

The Mac is an evolutionary platform.  It is more intuitive, simply elegant
and straight forward than any PC.

Remember the monkeys in Kubirck's 2001: A Space Odyssey?  Kanellos problem
is that he fears if he touches the object of his greatest desire he will
become that object.  Well, Jobs and Woz saw that future at XEROX PARK, low
those many years ago, and had the foresight to move it into the market place
because neither xerox or IBM would do it.

If PC users spend there time talking about price and availability, Michael,
it is because that is about all they can talk about.  Unless, of course,
they want to compare "system crash" numbers.

Kanellos said, "Conformity is more important than perfection."  You see,
Michael, conformity is often the death of individuality and creativity, and
it is killing the PC world.  And that is exactly what Macintosh said to the
market through its 1984 "Hammer" advertisement and what it says to this very
day in its "Genius" campaign.  But most importantly, this philosophy is
Apple's touchstone in its design and development of all Apple products.

Mr. Kanellos should take a cue from Bill Gates, the single most influential
businessman of the PC world and BUY STOCK in Macintosh...it's where the
future is created and where technical innovation is at home.

MBurke

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
<Titanium-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Need help from a real person? Try.
<Titanium-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP

Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com

CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

  Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
  Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml