[Ti] FW Hard Drive

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Thu Jan 9 18:08:18 PST 2003

John Pariseau offered:

>I am finally going to plunk out the money for a bigger HD and a case.
>
>I have a 550mhz, pre Combo drive, 20gig.
>
>I am looking for either a portable or large drive.
>
>LaCie has a nice 120 gig drive, in what looks like an aluminum enclosure.
>
>However, I could very well get a 60 gig notebook, and get a compact
>enclosure, with bus power. I
>do not need the portability, but it would be nice. I already have a
>large FW CD burner, with a
>second firewire port on back.
>
>I do not want my firewire port to die on me - is that a 550mhz
>problem? Or just the previous
>generation?
>
>Thanks!

I would steer clear of the LaCie's, only because I had one run warm,
and die on me after very little use this year.  The EZQuest portables
are really nifty, run at room temp, and two of mine are 'on'
constantly. Going on 9 onths, both up and running like Swiss watches.

As for larger drives, everyone has their own feelings and experience,
but the IBM drives with Oxford chips are very fine and competitive
with the others on price.

~flipper