[Ti] Apple's market share

Phillip McGree phil at phil.net.au
Fri Jan 10 03:47:35 PST 2003

>cbirds remarked:
>
>"I love how they now have the market down to 2.3% -- shyah."
>
>Like me, his sense is that there are more Apple users today than ever before, and better and more exciting products; however, media reports like that hurt.
>
>Yesterday I was telling an attorney with whom I work about how happy I am with my Ti 800, and suggested that he look at the new Al's because he needs a new laptop.  However, he came right back with Apple's market share as a reason NOT to buy an Apple, regardless of how good the PowerBooks are.

I actually use Apple's market share to sell stuff.  Being in the elite 2.3% is better than being in the stupid 97.7%.

I explain that Apple has a very minor market share, but always survives.  I make the point that in any other market, Apple would quickly vanish but in this case Apple keeps on going because its customers are just so damn loyal and satisfied with the products.  In such a cost based, ruthless, non loyal, harsh industry, Apple must be making some really, really, really, really kewl stuff to have one of the most loyal customer bases in the world, right?  Hmmmm.... starts the thinking cycle...

I ask people..."Steve Jobs gets up on stage and everyone goes nuts... when's the last time you saw anyone give a shit when Bill Gates got on a stage?"

"Ah, yes," people say..."but what about the cost?"

"Well.... it's like Sony, Honda, BMW, and other companies at the top of their field... the buyers don't fuss about what they cost because their priority is the product, not the cost. Do you think a BMW or Ferrari buyer haggles with the salesman over a $200,000 car?  Heck no, it would be an insult to the product to dispute the price.  But you'll haggle like mad over buying a Hyundai because a product like that doesn't involve any emotion or personal pride."

I also make the point to people that for BMWs, Ferraris, etc, people aren't buying a car that gets them from A to B.  They are buying an emotional experience that's worth any price.  They get a sense of pride every time they turn the key and start the motor.  For the price of one Ferrari you can buy a yard of Hyundais, but let's face it, Hyundais just aren't as good at impressing impressionable attractive young women that pull up next to you at the traffic lights.

When it comes to the whole Mac vs PC argument, I explain about viruses and security.  I've kept all the PC viruses that I've received over the last 16 months, and I show this folder to potential buyers.  I explain that each and every single one of those viruses would have caused mayhem on a PC, but can't do anything on my PowerBook.  I also explain that Macs don't have the TCP/IP access that Windows does, so therefore Macs can't be hacked or accessed by others whilst you're on the net.  In the past I've gone into internet chat channels and picked fights with all the smart arse kiddies and not once have they been able to mess with a Mac.

Market share?  Ask your lawyer colleague what market share BMW, Ferrari, etc, each have?

Regards,
Phil
Able to find an angle on anything, and then bullshit like mad about it.

.

Sent from the Apple PowerBook G4 of:
Phillip McGree                                    	Web:	http://www.phil.net.au
Perth, Western Australia			http://chat.iinet.net.au