[Ti] Apple's market share

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Fri Jan 10 11:27:54 PST 2003

Henry Kalir offered:

>Um, Phil....
>
>BMW's share of the market is RISING (at least here in the USA) because of
>it's diverse line of quality products and excellent management and, last I
>heard - Ferrari was in deep trouble.
>
>Apple HAS to work on being competitive and increasing it's market share
>AND it's OS ability to run ALL programs if it is to survive. It's in OUR
>best interest that this happen!
>
>Best,
>
>Henry

Hi Henry,

Although I agree that one needs to remain 'rational' when looking at
the situation, its implications, etc. Don't forget that with
VirtualPC I can run any Windows program in existence. Also, an
enormous number of 'widows-only' apps, are little arcane Lumber yard
Specific accounting apps, and such, hardly big category 'killers'.

Apple, being connected, operationally, with OpenSource, and having
the ability, for many years to read and work with diverse
p'proprietary' file formats [made by MS to isolate ITS OWN CLIENT BAE
from their 'legacy' in their windows environment], is clearly a
superior OS when it comes to dealing with diverse systems, files, and
needs of most users.

It isn't about 'cutting edge' tech, and that's a good thing, because
MS would be in deep ____ if that were the case. Everyone from the
security-conscious US Army, on down to the little 'nobodies', like
myself, knows what a threat MS is to security. I side with the Army
on this one, Microsoft is not to be trusted. You recall the huge
shortage of iMacs at one point, brought about by the Army decision to
transfer to a Mac-based frontend for their civilian workforce.

The overwhelming majority of Windows home users are not pushing the
envelope with their usage of computers. Companies were misled into
installing these huge, and more expensive, over the long haul,
systems, and even though here in the States where monopoly is
rewarded, Windows could look like the only game n town, bear in mind
that the US is actually a small segment of the worldwide market, as a
whole. A glance at the alarms being raised in government and industry
all across Europe and Asia, should be enough to keep Gates up biting
his nails.

Apple is obviously, with the XServers, and OpenSource, and Unix/Aqua
tech, moving towards an increase in 'market share'. IBM and Sun
aren't sitting on their arses either. An Apple/Sun/IBM, and say, AMD
and Toshiba 'alliance', in concert with the OpenSource 'movement',
could change the nature of the ballgame, dramatically. We're in the
early innings, my friend, perhaps the 'top of the second', i wouldn't
be conceding anything like defeat, at this point. There's a
tremendous 'herd mentality' out there, it'll take time to turn it
around. Somewhat like making a U-turn in an oil tanker, it doesn't
happen 'on a dime'.

~flipper