[Ti] OSX Advice (long)

RFD rfd1 at mac.com
Sat Jan 11 15:27:55 PST 2003

on 1/11/03 8:35 AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List at

> Subject: Re: [Ti] OSX Advice
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:28:17 -0500
> From: cbirds <cbirds at earthlink.net>

Lisbeth Zachs tapped out this message on 1/11/2003 5:10 AM

>>> Decided to install OSX on my  Ti400 <cut>-Has anyone succsessfully
>>> installed OSX over
>>> 9.2.2 on a single pre-existing partition and is happy with
>>> performance, etc, etc ....
>>
>> I've done it on my Ti400 and no problems what so ever, but add more
>> RAM. I have treated myself to 768 MB and that's very nice. So go for it!
>

> I wish I could tell you the most successful way to do this but I myself
> have not yet discovered it. I have not really gotten a good system for
> installing/reinstalling in order to protect myself in case of problems. I
> am still experimenting but I know I am missing something here...
> I don't still "get" this partitioning thing.....<sigh>
>
> Hopefully someone will come along that can explain it to me in terms I
> can understand.
> Fortunately I have more than one computer to experiment with while the
> others chug away. Today my Wallstreet started "ticking" and though Tech
> Tool showed no mechanical problems I think I'm in for a new hard drive,
> since the thing has been running non-stop, 24/7 since I bought it way
> back in 1998 or 1999!

Your unpartitioned drive is a single volume. Partitioning is simply breaking
your single drive (volume) into two or more volumes (recognized by your Mac
as separate drives). The upside is that if a volume goes south, the
remaining volume(s) should remain intact. You can boot into any volume that
has a valid System installed, so if your have more than one volume, and more
than one copy of your System installed, you can boot into another volume and
repair and/or restore the damaged volume.

The downside is, if your hard drive goes south, it's ALL going south.
Volumes will not save you from a catastrophic drive failure and sooner or
later, all drives fail.

Here is the most efficient and practical method to backup/restore you drive
and protect your files should the need arise (and eventually, the need will
arise).

Get yourself an external hard drive large enough to accept all the data
stored on your current hard drive (but no less than 30 or 40 GB). This can
be a pocked sized 2.5" Firewire bus powered mini, or a 3.5" Firewire desktop
in a case the size of an external CD burner. Download a free copy of  Carbon
Copy Cloner  <http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html> and you will have
all the tools at hand for a complete restoration of your hard drive and to
backup your files.

If your System is perfect, you can clone it along with everything else on
your drive to the external drive. You now have a bootable copy of your
internal hard drive.

If your System is less than perfect, or you would like to start with a
perfect System, Install everything clean onto the external drive (System,
updates  and applications). Create a folder on the external drive named
MyFiles.bck (or whatever you prefer) and copy/drag your personal files into
it from your internal hard drive. You have now backed up your files.

When you update or install something on your internal drive, do the same on
your external drive to keep them current (but not until you're sure the
update or install hasn't caused any problems on the internal drive). Since
your external drive is bootable and current, you can boot into it and run
your/any (suitable) Mac from  it. If you've gone the way of the pocket
drive, you can carry your entire Mac (System, applications and files) around
in your pocket and boot it up wherever you find a Mac.

If you want to really get organized, partition your new drive into 2 equal
volumes. Clone/install your System(s) and apps on the first volume and
another copy of OS 9.2.2 and your personal files on the second. You will now
be able to boot into OS X from the primary volume, or OS 9 from the
secondary volume by just holding down the [Option] key on startup.

The foregoing is a simple solution. You can expand on it whenever you wish.
I hope it was of some help.

You can start shopping for external drives here:

<http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_69306>
<http://www.maczone.com/cgi-bin/zones/site/list/index.html?cat_oid=-18410>
<http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewire/products/Storage.shtml>
<http://fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php>