[Ti] OSX Advice (long)

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 11 21:48:55 PST 2003

RFD tapped out this message on 1/12/2003 12:16 AM

 >Chris,

>That's excellent advice for an advanced user who is comfortable with the
>command line. Read the original post again. The person who asked the
>question did not seem to be someone who would be comfortable in that
>environment (as I'm sure 99% of OS X users are not). Most people using OS X
>are looking for the path or least resistance and are not looking forward to
>becoming a UNIX geek in order to run their Mac.

Yehaw! Someone gets it! (I think that was me you are referring to)

>I have invested a lot of time talking to a lot of people trying to convince
>them that they don't need to understand UNIX to switch to/run OS X.  I stay
>as far away from the Terminal as I can when it comes to advice for anyone
>not comfortable with OS X's UNIX underpinnings.

We thank you for that!

>When you say, "You can back up  to a Windows box, another Mac, a network
>file server, or whatever, with  rsync over ssh: rsync -e 'ssh -i
>/root/.ssh/<public_key>' -arvz --delete <source>  <destination>
>also run from a cron job, with a public ssh key stored on the receiving
>(backup) server to allow login without have to type a password at the
>command line", the usual response is, "What"?

Exactly! Hello? Where do I begin, is what I think. I just want to know
the first step and WHY I am doing it, otherwise I won't rememer HOW. None
of my crowd needs SSH, believe me. I just want to know how to keep the
thing going, and how to fix it fast and easy when it croaks. What is the
reason behind what I do during the install...just like I know for OS 9
the necessary steps to a good new system.

>I'm quite sure you are very, very good at what you do and your obvious
>knowledge of the UNIX underpinnings of OS X is impressive, but you do this
>marvelous OS and platform a disservice when you don't try to exhaust all the
>avenues of familiarity first. For every person who understands your advice,
>there are a thousand who don't. It's those thousand I want to convert to
>and/or keep in OS X, and please believe me, UNIX speak does not make  it
>easier. Over time, most OS X users will become more comfortable with UNIX,
>but the vast majority don't want to start there.
>
>Just my 2¢.

Your 2 cents is worth a lot because you have hit the nail on the head.
It's nice to know we can pry open these UNIX-Heads' brains and ask these
questions, but, they should please use the K.I.S.S. principle for this
dummy and for the "rest of us" who are too old and will never have the
time to understand UNIX.