[Ti] OSX Advice (long)

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Sat Jan 11 21:45:55 PST 2003

>Paul Russell wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the link to rsyncx. Currently I use rsync for all my
>>cross-platform source code and binary files and CCC/ditto/psync for
>>Mac stuff. Maybe I can just do everything with rsyncx.
>
>You're welcome.  I haven't had any real problems rsync'ing to unix
>or linux boxes with OS X.  Where I've had problems is with Windows
>2000 Server.  rsync runs with Cygwin on Windows, but Win2K Server's
>NTFS doesn't seem to understand unix-style file permissions very
>well.

I don't use rsync on the remote end - just mount the share as a Mac
volume and do rsynv -rutv. The only problem with this though is that
that the date stamps on the files on NT 4.0 boxes are wrong so rsync
will always end up copying more files than it needs to (this is not
destructive, but it does slow you down a bit). Maybe I should try
runnign cygwin/rsync on the NT boxes...

Paul