[Ti] OSX Advice (long)

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sat Jan 11 21:40:02 PST 2003

RFD wrote:
> I'm quite sure you are very, very good at what you do and your obvious
> knowledge of the UNIX underpinnings of OS X is impressive, but you do this
> marvelous OS and platform a disservice when you don't try to exhaust all the
> avenues of familiarity first.

This is an interesting topic.  For me, the familiarity of OS X *is* the
command line.  If OS X just had a GUI I wouldn't be using it.  There are
thousands of OS X users who have migrated here from unix or linux
desktop environments, and almost universally, former *nix desktop users
will tell you they love the GUI features of OS X that Just Work(tm).
The other group, which like you say is probably the majority, has
migrated to OS X from previous non-command line versions of Mac OS.
When I first started using OS X, the GUI was as foreign to me as the
command line is to former OS 9 users.  Over time, I have learned to use
the GUI features, however, and am just learning that there are many good
OS X GUI front-ends to the traditional unix tools that make them easier
to use.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator