[Ti] [OT] Wireless Base Stations

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue Jan 14 06:16:23 PST 2003

At 23:41 -0800 13-1-2003, Pat Hurley wrote:
>>2.  Install an Airport card in the iMac, and install a Wireless Base Station
>>of some kind in series with the PC.

>should work just fine -- just connect the Ethernet cable from the
>cable modem directly into the base station, and use the "LAN port"
>on the base station to connect to the PC, and an airport card in the
>iMac.  Besides the "snow" ABS,  he could use any standard 802.11b
>Access point from vendors like Linksys or Netgear or D-Link or SMC
>or whomever, as long as they have some wired LAN ports.

I agree, that Pete's option 2 should work fine.   Although I think
strictly electronically speaking the base station is in parallel to
the PC (since both are connected to the modem),

(As previously posted on this list) I have a 3Com wireless gateway in
the offices of our firm, connected by ethernet cable to the DSL
modem.  This gives all of our offices wireless access to the
internet.  Those with a PC laptop have a 3Com wireless PC-card, I
have an airport card in my Ti (makes this an ON-list post!)
The guy sitting near to the modem/3Com wireless gateway, who has a PC
laptop, could in principle connect his PC by ethernet in to the modem.

This would seem to be identical to Pete's option 2.

Let us know how it goes .......

regards,  Trevor