[Ti] 60gb TravelStar - quick question

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 16:30:40 PST 2003

Sherman Gregory <sherman at qualcomm.com> writes:
> Seek time is of course critically important to the real usable speed
> also.

Seek time is important, but is not a function of rotational speed; what
IS a function of rotational speed is rotational latency:  Seek time
positions the heads over the proper track (aka cylinder-a concentric
circle a certain distance from the center of the platters).  But if the
first bit you want to read passed by the heads just before they arrived
at that cylinder, you have to wait for the entire time it takes for the
drive to make a full rotation before you can begin reading.  This
generally comes to slightly more than 1/100 second, an ETERNITY as far
as a computer processor is concerned (your processor would run 10
*million* instructions in that time).

In reality though, I'd rather have the lower power consumption and
lower noise level of a 4200 RPM drive than the lower latency and
possible extra speed of a 5400 RPM drive.

BTW, drives are generally 4200, 5400, 7200, 10,000, or 15,000 RPMs.  I
don't think any 4800 RPM drives exist.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html