apple support issue

Selwyn Ward selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com
Thu Jan 16 00:24:23 PST 2003

that was defective on purchase.....
> EAch phone call apple has suggested I take it back to the retailer, John
> Lewis. I waited 6 weeks for mine, and can't afford to wait that long. Having
> phoned around, it appears the other retailers have a similar waiting list. I
> actually need the machine for work as my 3 year old vaio is getting pretty
> unstable, with hinges coming loose etc. Travelling like I do, a laptop is
> vital.
>
> SO my powerbook is 100 miles out of London, and I won't be able to pick it
> up to return it till mid-Feb. I am without a pb- I actually think i'd be
> better off buying another, being as this one is already problematic, but
> being down 5000 pounds just after Christmas won't be easy.
> (The reason I bought from J Lewis is that they offer a 2 year guarntee)
>
> Any suggestions?

If I had any product, let alone something as potentially temperamental as a
computer, defective on taking out of the box, I would always reject it as
unfit for purpose and seek refund or replacement from the dealer under UK
Sale of Goods Act.  You should not have to send products back to the
manufacturer if they are faulty at time of purchase and if you pay for a new
machine you shouldn't have to make do with what will end up being a
refurbished one.  Here, I think, Apple's advice to take the machine back to
the dealer is spot on.

I really don't understand the worries over waiting lists.  I had the
impression that 15" PBs were readily in stock from many UK dealers.  I'd get
my money back from the John Lewis Partnership and buy myself a new one
eleswhere if they don't have others in stock.