[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 16 19:17:30 PST 2003

Steve Wozniak (I think) sent this message into the ether on 1/16/2003
7:06 PM

>I guess we have been able to get users to switch to OS X from MacOS, even
>if not from Windows. Being so different a platform, I worry if that means
>that MacOS and OS X users are each part of even a smaller market share
>when taken individually.

I know that on AOL they actually fight with each other as they used to in
the old Mac vs PC room! This can't be good.

I see more users of Windows/*nix OSes switching to X because it's
workings are more familiar to them, than previous Mac Os lovers willing
to move on to X and learning something totally new. There was a recent
article on the web about how not enough were adopting it yet....of
course, not everyone has the dough in this economy to run out and buy a
new machine that has the power to run it.

However, I do think the % of Macs in use is FAR greater than 2.3% as the
number of people who are happy with their Macs is great and they seem to
use them far longer than most. It is not uncommon for me to see older
Macs, some using OSes before 8, in use in offices where the work is not
too heavy. I even saw a MacPlus keeping records in a very modern doctor's
office.
I've got X on several machines but not having as easy of a time with it
still..I just hope Apple can recapture that  "Fahrfenugen" that I first
had when first using a Mac. Before that when I first saw DOS and Windows
and thought it was the only thing, I had been totally disinterested in
computers. But the Mac just looked "delicious" and suddenly I became an
enthusiast which led me to wanting to do work that involved computers....