[Ti] Market Share

NaegeleWDC at aol.com NaegeleWDC at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 15:03:49 PST 2003

Thanks to Massimo Marino for giving us the link to Walter Mossberg's article in the Wall Street Journal:

http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

I subscribe to the online Journal, and must admit that I missed it; no mention of it on the homepage.  Mossberg has been very supportive of Apple products, and has given -- in my opinion -- very fair and balanced reviews of them.

However, despite the well-meaning recommendations of some that we should "sell a Mac to a friend," what really needs to be done is for Apple to launch a P.R. campaign aimed at correcting distortions with respect to market share, etc. -- probably as part of its "switch" campaign.

Since its overall P.R. is so good, and its "switch" campaign is excellent, I can only assume that it does not have the facts on its side to support such a campaign effort.  Perhaps it will in the months (or years) to come as new products roll out; let's hope so.  Right now though, the adverse press is not helping things at all, and probably turning lots of potential Apple customers away, both in the U.S. and abroad.

One bright spot: the Apple Stores, which are mini-Macworld Expos, and showcase the products nicely.

Tim Naegele

www.naegele.com

________