[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

coccolithophorid at earthlink.net coccolithophorid at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 18 09:33:40 PST 2003

Henry Kalir <kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU> wrote:
Let's stop deluding ourselves! Apple needs to do "something(s)" and soon
to become a compatible and mainstream computer platform. All the talk
about "Alfa Romeos and Porches" is merely flawed analogies! Apple needs
this change to survive and be a relevant computer NOT just in the eyes
of
its dedicated followers but for the general computer using population.

Henry Kalir <kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU> wrote:
Folks...PLEASE...Apple needs to work on an OS that can take ANY Windoze
application and run it just as good or BETTER on the Mac OS (like being
able to play the same record on a superior HI FI...or whatever
appropriate
analogy you care for) so that PC users (NOT you, the converted!!!) will
say" Hey! NEAT...I might as well get a Mac and run all my applications
and
then some on it". An increase in market share is not just GOOD, it's a
MUST for Apple to survive. STOP deluding yourselves... TY for listening.

Kevin wrote:
Apple already is a compatible and mainstream computer platform, and a
Mac can hook up to a pc no problem, I do it all the time. Others use
Virtual pc with no problems. The Porsche and Alfa Romeo analogies are
basically saying that those cars are expensive and make up a small
segment of the total car population just like Apple, which is true. As
for relevance, Apple computers were relevant even before Bill Gates
copied them.

The "play the same record on a superior HI FI" analogy is flawed
because the turntables "agree" that the vinyl record is the best media
for that device. When you said...

"Apple needs to work on an OS that can take ANY Windoze
application and run it just as good or BETTER on the Mac OS"

Any pc software must be rewritten to work on a Mac you can't load an XP
program into OS X and expect it to load. If you are saying that
software companies need to write their software for all major
platforms, I agree. If you are talking about a built in pc emulator in
the OS, what's the point? they already work together, and there's
virtual pc.

Also I disagree with your statement...
"An increase in market share is not just GOOD, it's a
MUST for Apple to survive. STOP deluding yourselves... TY for
listening."

Money is what's needed for Apple to survive, that and the desire to
survive, who cares about market share when you have a superior product.

Kevin