[Ti] Market Share: 2.3% -- That's NOT good press, coupled with the loss

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Sun Jan 19 07:42:32 PST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, XXL wrote:

> > who cares about market share when you have a superior product.
>
> This is the exact arrogance that let Apple give it all away to Wintel when
> Apple had a clear advantage.
>
> Two other hallmarks of Apple that are rarely discussed are arrogance and
> greed.  And those two have kept the better qualities of Apple from being
> triumphant in the market place.
> -Joel

Thank you Joel, for picking up the ball here. I was so astounded by the
nature of this statement (as well as its "sister statement" that "Apple's
market share may be down to 2.3%, but the TOTAL # of computers it sold is
up since the number of total computers being sold has grown") as to be
dumbstruck.

There's a BIG difference between a "Chicken Little" approach and a
legitimate CONCERN over Apple's falling market share and the FACT that
most major Software Houses now release the Wintel versions of their
applications first, and sometimes none for the Mac.

Every diehard Mac user SHOULD be VERY concerned about Apple's market
share, which is the ultimate measure of the success of its products and an
indicator of its future viability. Let's stop the "don;t confuse me with
the facts when I've already made up my mind" approach! There are many good
things about the Mac and many which need fixin' for it to THRIVE and
increase it's market share and hence relevance to NON Mac users so that
they will use it in ever increasing numbers of THEIR OWN ACCORD, not
because some Mac diehard convinced them to do so.

Best and TY for listening.

Henry